Tuesday 5 January 2010

Winter Warmer

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Thank you to the Kitchen Fairey for all of her updates.



The truth is you known I started blogging Mums recipes for me to remember them.

Next thing you know someone wants to make a Daytime TV show out your blog.

So you go along with it and make a pilot, with a TV celeb and her Mother in another part of the country while cooking Bread and Butter Pudding over Skype.

I had a Production Company, Directors and interested parties all attempting to create some kinda golden format with golden spoons
.
I then realised to my horror that my little cooking music journal of Mums cooking and my music had ceased to exist.
As did the Daytime TV version.
The Flamenco had gone! What was I doing standing on a Helipad saying to camera "Hello and Welcome to Cooking With Mother?"
Now that is Soreal - Please visit http://www.sorealism.com for a definition of Sorealism if you do not know already know.

An interesting chapter in the early history of an honest blog and a musicians career.

Hey you never know what can happen do you?
My many thanks to everybody involved in the making of the CWM TV Pilot it was an extraordinary way to start last year and I really did enjoy myself making it and I met some really lovely people too.

Since then it has been 100% Music which is why the Fairey has been filling in.

Now last night I had to cook some comfort food for my wife, it was a freezing night out there and I knew she wanted warming after an extra late night at work so I managed to put my guitar down, pick up the phone get in the kitchen and cook with mother.


I dialed Mama but did not record on purpose - (Sorry no Podcook) - instead I thought I'd just write down the instructions and tools needed for:


Chipolata with Caramel Sherry and Onion Gravy on a bed of Creamy Mash Potato.

(Cooking time 45mins)

Ingredients:

Half an Onion
11 Chipolata sausages
Salt
Black Pepper
Olive Oil
Gravy Granules
13 small to medium sized potatoes
1 Large/double wine glass of Sherry
Mixed Italian Herbs

Utensils:

1 milk pan
1 Baking Tray
1 Frying Pan
A sharp knife
1 Roasting Tin
A chopping board
A Pan
2 Oven friendly dishes

So Mum said:

Put the 11 large chipolata sausages in a Baking Tray and place in the oven at 180 degrees.

She then said chop half an onion and slice it thinly and then heat enough olive oil to cover the bottom of a frying pan and fry the onion slices separating them out.

While frying I peeled the potatoes as instructed making sure I kept an eye on the onions.

When the spuds were peeled I chopped and popped them in a pan with water and a nice splash of Salt and set them to boil.

The onions turned black but did not burn.
I then added one and three quarter mugs of water, and brought it to the boil throwing in 3 heaped Tea spoons of Gravy Granules, a nice big pinch Italian mixed herbs adding seasoning to taste.

Granules stirred in with a wooden spoon it was time to check on the sausages and spuds, the spuds needed longer as did the sausages but do check, you do not want burnt sausages, yours may cook quicker.

Next I took the gravy off the heat and in a milk pan heated up the sherry until it evaporated off all its alcohol and got it to look like caramel, I then poured that into the baking dish holding the sausages, extracting the sausages first. (Be warned the sausages may be stuck to the bottom so remove them carefully.)

Using the wooden spoon and the sherry I cleaned the pan of all of its juices and bits and poured that into the onion gravy mmm, It looked like someone else had cooked it.

I then placed the sausages in an oven dish and dolloped all of the sherry onion gravy on top of them.
I then put a lid on and left it in the oven at just under a 100 degrees to keep warm.

Potato ready I poured out the water and tossed in a desert spoon and bit of unsalted butter and a dribble of milk and began to mash it with the masher.
(This is the first time I had ever managed to make creamy mashed potato.)
Season if you wish but beware do not use too much milk and remember I added salt to the water the spuds were boiled in, which means if you are following these instructions, you did too.

Now place that mash in another oven friendly dish, decorate the mash it with a fork if you fancy then put it in the oven with the sausages ready for serving when ever Doris got in.

It is a real winter warmer sweet and comforting.

Thanks Mum for the natter and thank you for reading.

Buenas Noches

M
AD


(This blog was written whilst listening to WTNR RADIO)

No comments: