Saturday 12 April 2008

Vindaloo










This dish should not take longer than 45 to 50 mins, I have seen Mum cook it in 20 but we are not mum.

Utensils:

1 large cooking pot with a lid
1 wooden spoon
1 tea spoon
1 bowl
and a sharp knife
rice steamer or pot for rice

Ingredients :

5 loin pork chops quite large ones if possible
Note this dish can be cooked with pork/beef/chicken or diced turkey
potatoes
rice

1 onion
garlic powder
ground ginger
jeera AKA cumin
chili powder
paprika
(Please note all powdered ingredients can be fresh if you prefer)

vindaloo paste
vegetable oil
1 tin of tomato puree
fresh coriander

Side dishes and salad ingredients:

onion (apple salad)
3 granny smith apples (apple salad)
one large pot of natural yogurt (apple salad)

one small white cabbage (side dish)
3 to 4 cloves of garlic (side dish)


now here's part 1 of the podcast.

My battery died just at the end of cooking the curry so here is the final part including an apple salad and Mum's special garlic fried cabbage.











And the whole podcast here.

Enjoy

Best
M
AD





2 comments:

Doug Woodrow said...

What a fantastic idea - it's really great to be able to follow a recipe in real time. And it worked!

Just a few minor comments:

(1) There are ingredients missing from the text: potatoes, cabbage and rice.

(2) I'd find it clearer if the utensils and ingredients were listed separately for the 3 dishes (curry, cabbage side dish and apple salad).

(3) It would be helpful if the text included a re-cap of what happened in the lost time between the 2 recordings. The rice in particular came completely out of the blue for me so I had to skip it altogether.

(4) A couple of times I half lost track of where I was, or missed something because it was drowned out by the sound of the my kettle boiling or cabbage frying, so a few more repetitions would be great.

(5) Finally I wasn't sure if the curry or the cabbage needed to be covered during the cooking.

But as I say, the curry was a success for this novice, despite having to use Madras paste instead of Vindaloo.

Marcos D'Cruze said...

Reply to dougwoodrow from Marcos at "Cooking With Mother"

Thank you for your comments they were very helpful.

(1) Missing ingredients have been been added.

(2) I will now list utensils separately - especially with more than one dish in the podcook.

(3) The re-cap will become a regular feature of the podcook it happens more in the paella cast and mum is starting to settle in and hand out reminders.

(4) Repetitions are hard to do when I am cooking the dish myself for the first time just like you are, for the moment either turn your volume up or hit pause on your mp3 player.
The more experience I get in the kitchen then I reckon the more I will be able to repeat.

(5)The cabbage is tossed in a frying pan so no do not cover - the curry should be covered sorry for not making that clear.

I am so chuffed you pod-cooked the vindaloo and that it was a genuine success for you despite it technically becoming some kind of Madras, let me know me how you get on with the paella if you try it.

Best

Marcos